Eight Is Enough
Catherine tagged me with this meme, which seems suspiciously like this other one I did awhile back. Because I like her so much, I'll do this one too. The premise is that I tell you eight random facts about moi. Here they are:
1. I was the only white child in my nursery school class. I lived in inner city Boston, and my first utterance upon moving to the suburbs was "Mom, why is everyone here white?" I have a black and white (no pun intended) photo of my multi-culti class sitting on the dresser in our bedroom for proof.
2. I am completely obsessed with the TV show "So You Think You Can Dance." No, this is not "Dancing With the Stars," which I don't watch because, well, the dancers mostly suck. SYTYCD is like American Idol with dancers, but 5 trillion times better. It is only on in the summer so set your Tivo now. I spend most of the year waiting for it to come back on, and had I not been in Europe when last year's tour came through, you bet your ass I would have been there. I'm afraid I've now revealed myself as a complete fucking dork. In any case, when the show ends each week, Jon looks at me and says "Why is this show so much better than everything else? I can't figure out why, but it is."
3. I've been in 2 bus accidents. The first was in high school when my school's music department was headed to Virginia (from MA) to participate in a music competition. We had 3 buses. The first got so far ahead that they didn't know what had happened until hours later. The 2nd (the one I was on) hit a truck, and the 3rd hit us. No one was seriously hurt (a broken nose, some lost teeth and a lot of whiplash was the worst of it) but we had to turn around and go home. The other bus accident happened when I was on my way to NYC for spring break while in college. Our bus hit a car in the Lincoln tunnel, and they had to send another bus for us. I don't ride buses anymore.
4. My stage name is Joy Lian. Lian is my middle name. As a result, most people who see that as my name think I am Asian before they meet me. Lian is indeed a Chinese word/name, but I am not a Chinese person. My father spoke 8 languages, Chinese being one of them, which is where the name came from. Even though I had no contact with him growing up, I do still have the name (I shed his last name as soon as I could, though).
5. I hate crowds.
6. Our cat, Charlie, loves tortilla chips and popcorn. He will knock popcorn out of our hands and he climbs into the El Farolito bag to get to the tortilla chips. He's also a fan of cereal and ice cream, but that's a little more normal. Side note: Charlie fucking rocks.
7. Purple has been my favorite color since I was 11 years old.
8. I'd always rather be sweating in the summer than freezing in the winter. Although I suppose in SF, that logic doesn't work so well. Still, it is rare that I am bothered by extreme heat, but I despise being cold.
If you are still reading at this point, you win a prize.
"To eat is a necessity. To eat intelligently is an art."
-- La Rochefoucauld